94 k2500 diesel

I am considering purchasing the listed car and am curious if anyone has any experience with these engines, the ones I have found in Tennessee all have
over 120k and seem to be in good shape. My current suburban has the 350 with 180k and runs great, I just need more power to tow with. I also would like to know if the diesel really gets the 18mpg that I have been told. I will be towing alot with this and really need to know what I should be on the lookout for. Also how many miles can I expect out of it with regular maintenance.
Not sure about the 18mpg but we use alot of diesel chevs here at the base and we tow alot with them. I will admit (even though I don't want to) the ford and dodge diesels have more towing power than the chevys do, but we still haven't had a single problem with the chevs.

any
would
In my '95 K2500 6.5 TD, I see 15 mpg, regularly. The things Jonathan mentioned are worth while to pay attention to, but not get hung up on. There are many, many of these same trucks out there with 150,000+ miles with the original injection pump and that have not had these failures.
The most important thing to remember is that it's not a gasser and you CAN'T expect to drive it like a gasser. Don't expect to go out an start it up on a 20 degree day and zoom down the road like you can in a gasser. And don't expect to get to your destination and shut it off without cooling it down for a MINIMUM of a full minute. That turbo NEEDS to cool down.
I was looking (and found) a diesel Suburban for my wife, but when I really thought about it, I came to me senses and remembered that she's running late 99% of the time on anything she does. Not a good mix.
I'd recommend spending some time on www.gm-diesel.com to get some info there.
Snowman

any
would