94 Lumina CV joints..!!

I had the tranny rebuilt a couple months back.., now I notice when I'm driving around 70-75 mph on the hyw between California and Arizona when I go into a dip and the car sort of squats a harmonic vibration comes at the bottom, then disappears after the car lofts again..!! I've looked underneath and all is dry.., except for what I think is the right side rubber-covered CV joint which is spining a little grease and water mixture out. Do these CV joints wear-out..?? There is about a 3/4 inch "play" in the driving wheels, when I rotate the wheels, one to the the other..!!

Reply to
81mm

If it is water and grease you have a CV joint boot that has gone bad and it let water into the joint. Since it sounds like the damage has already been done to the joint you will probably find it is cheaper and much easier to just replace the entire axle halfshaft assembly. Yes they do wear out, even faster if the boots get damaged and allow water and grit to get inside. The play is probably normal gear slop. You have the axles, splines, differential pinion gears all having wear on them and allowing some motion.

Reply to
Steve W.

Thanks Steve.., I think your right on (smile).., enough said.., if I remember correctly the half-axles don't cost that much.., thanks again..!!

Reply to
81mm