'94 S-10 Blazer Ring & Pinion

Based on the whine noise coming from the rear diff, I may be in for a new ring & pinion for a 1994 S-10 Blazer 7.5" posi diff (98,000 mi). What should I expect to pay an indy shop, parts &
labor, for repair ?? Denver area
--reed
"Reed"

I would say around $800 - 1100 installed. but usually a whine cane be fixed just by replacing the shims.
Once the gears whine:
They are shot!
If it's bearing noise, there's a good chance of saving the gears, that can be judged upon disassembly.
Refinish King

S.S.I.N. wrote:

No, a whine usually will not be fixed by any attempt to re-adjust the gear set. Once a gear set has been meshing improperly (whether due to worn bearings or improperly adjusted gears in the first place), it's pretty much toast.
Ian
"shiden_kai" a whine usually will not be fixed by any attempt

i knew knew that. when i was working at a chevy dealership a guy brought in his new truck because the rearend whined..... we took it apart and adjusted the shims took it for another drive took it apart again and with some playing around they got the wine to quit.
Reed wrote:

Shop decided ring and pinion gears OK, probably because I had not driven it much from when noise started. Replaced pinion bearings, etc (install kit). $375 labor + $125 parts
--reed