94 Sonoma Check engine soon

I keep getting the check engine soon warning on my 94 Sonoma, 4x4, 4.3, 5sp. It only comes on after about 30 to 40 minutes of driving. The temp is good, oil pressure is good, oil level seems fine but it's hard to tell exactly because it splashed up the stick real bad. When I shut the truck off it resets immediately and I can go another 30 to 40 minutes before it comes on again. Anybody heard of this before. Brian

Reply to
<Brian.Johnson

egr valve stuck or the vacumm port feeding it is plugged with carbon

snipped-for-privacy@ns.sympatico.ca wrote:

Reply to
tom

Reply to
Shep

Thank you very much for your replies, this is an awesome newsgroup and I need more help because this isn't going very well. I tried to read the codes according to the Haynes manual and it said I have to short pins "A" and "B" on the ALDL terminal in order to get the "Service Engine Soon " light to flash to the proper code sequence starting with code 12; which is the code to say the diagnostic is working properly. My 1994 4.3L is a TBI manual tranmission so I think I am reading the manual correctly in that I have an OBD 1 model. When I do the diagnostic the code twelve should flash three times on the SES but it comes on steady as if I haven't shorted the pins; which leads me to believe that the PCM is not functioning properly and should be replaced. I checked pins "A" and "B" and I do have the 5V reference voltage. The manual doesn't tell me what to do if code 12 does not appear. Any suggestions?

Reply to
<Brian.Johnson

Are you turning the ignition on first and then jumping pins A and B?

Or;

Are you jumping pins A and B and then turning the ignition on?

Reply to
aarcuda69062

94 is an oddball year, 93 was the last ODB-I and 95 was the first real ODB-II, 94 was sort of a transition year and is somewhere in between, some call it OBD 1.5. You will need something to read the codes there, the short A&B won't work.
Reply to
Eugene Nine

Reply to
<Brian.Johnson

Start at square one...

Does your truck have a 12 pin ALDL?

If yes, are there terminals occupying cavities "A" and "B"?

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Yes 12 Pin ALDL with "A" , "B" and "M"

"A" has the 5 v reference signal, "B" is ground and "M" is the data line.

Reply to
<Brian.Johnson