95 4.3W - transmission/brake fluid in vac line - collecting in vac reservoir??

Here¹s something I don¹t imagine you see every day...

I have a 95 4.3W series Jimmy that has been ?leaking¹ transmission fluid (might be brake fluid but I don¹t think so based on the deep pink colour and smell) - it¹s collecting in the under-the-hood vac reservoir ?ball¹.

Can someone explain to be what might be happening?? Both the motor and transmission are nearly brand new but I¹d like to know what to ?chat¹ about when it goes in for the warranty work if needed.

It seems like it¹s been a little low on transmission fluid lately and I can¹t find any leaks in the pan, cooler, or lines ­ except today when I checked a host going to that vac booster ball and found the pink stuff.

I am stumped but it wouldn¹t be the first time.

Thanks and take care, Andrew.

Reply to
AWN

I know you¹re all thinking that it¹s just a simple matter of an overfilled transmission... I¹m not sure it¹s that simple. I will triple check it but I don¹t think the fluid level is too high. Maybe some hard braking caused the fluid to travel up the vent line? Is that possible??

Thanks. Andrew.

Reply to
AWN

"AWN" wrote

This is a bit of a guess, but it's not uncommon for the transfer case switch that controls the front diff engagement (I'm assuming this is a 4x4, though you didn't specify that) to suck fluid from the t/case up through the vacuum lines. It's also not uncommon for the transfer case front seal to suck transmission fluid from the automatic into itself. Both the transmission and the t/case in that year use the same fluid.

You might try checking the fluid level of the t/case. If it pours out of the fill hole, then I'd say that you may have two repairs you will need to do. Replace the front seal on the t/case, and replace the switch on the t/case. By the way, the oil coming up through the vacuum lines will often destroy all of the vacuum lines, including the ones in the dash that control your heater and a/c blend doors.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai