'95 4WD front diff won't disengage?

My 1995 Tahoe 4x4 just developed a problem that sounds like the front differential won't fully disengage. Over the weekend we got snow and I used 4wd low.
Today while driving I heard a buzzing noise from the front. When I come to a stop the buzzing slows and get worse. When I put it into 4w low it goes away. In 4w high it's there.
I just bought this truck in the late summer, and I only breifly checked out the 4wd. So maybe it's sick? Maybe the cold weather makes it stick?
If it is, then I'm in a heap of trouble, becasue I'm poor and can't afford a big repair bill. If the problem is a sticky actuator, and if the actuator is not inside the diff, then I'm happy to have at it myself. And wouldn't you know it, the darn hood is stuck too! (sigh)
Any suggestions? thanks -JAZ-
(Please excuse the 'burp' when replying)

PS, I'm worried about driving this rig in this condition. Am I stranded until it's fixed?
(Please excuse the 'burp' when replying)
Not sure about the 95's but try jacking the front end up to see if you are spinning freely.
forgot to take the pills and typed:

Try backing up in 2x and 4x.
It's typical that the cable is to long for the hood release. Every Chevy I've owned has this problem. Once I get the hood open I use a small plastic cable tie to take up the slack.
Jack up one front wheel and try to spin it. If you can't then it's stuck. Anytime you drive on dry pavement your going to hear the transmission and front axle strain. Are you hearing this noise when your in 2wd?