95 cavalier,wont fire

i am 99.9% positive its not the starter because i have replaced the starter twice already and i know what it sounds like. there is no activity whatsoever when i try to crank the vehicle. when i turn the key there is no
sound. i literally replaced the battery this morning so it has nothing to do with that. all i can think that is left is the clutch and flywheel switch. how do i check this? in the recent past before it quit starting all together, it would work really hard to turn over, making grinding type noises and it acted like it didnt have enough power to turn over. thats why i changed the battery. also, if it didnt start with the first turn of the key, i could play with the clutch while i held the key turned and feel and hear a click under my foot in the clutch. if anyone knows what is wrong with my POS please respond. thank you.
--
LIGHTNING NEWS
Newsgroup access for as little as $5 per month

-
kirk doyle wrote:

    Excessive current draw will burn out the fusible links in the starter harness. If your engine requires that much current draw to start, you have a major issue. Charles