95 chevy pickup 1500 4wd not working

it has auto trans, when i shift in to 4wd it seems to go in with ease but doesnt work and the linkage seems ok. i dont have locking hubs. could a hub sensor have gone bad or maybe the hubs need to be cleaned.

my 93 has vaccume actuated hubs.
do i need to replace hubs or is it a vacum problem
if you have lock in hubs (as in you get out and lock it in) than it probally isnt vaccum activated.

dynayaa wrote:

Well it can't be a vacuum problem as the full size trucks are not vacuum actuated....and it can't be the hubs as the full size trucks in those years didn't use locking hubs.
Ian
is it electrical? when i shift into 4wd the console lights on the shifter dont light up i do have power at the fuse
Sounds like the actuator in the front differential is toast. I've replaced mine twice in my 95! The second time, I replaced it with a motor driven unit(original works on expanding gas). You need a special wiring harness with it and the extra wire has to be spliced to the brown wire coming into the top of the transfer case. This has worked good for me for 3 years, and I find that 4wd engages instantly with this actuator. Best of luck! Boardo

I agree. had to replace my gas operated original with motor drive. great. and you can do it yourself in 1 hour easy. old john