95 Jimmy SLT shifting problems in OD

I was wondering if anyone had any input here... I have noticed that shifting when in overdrive as well as when the motor/tranny is cold (below zero), the transmission seems to 'slip' or 'wander' before going into gear. Engagement is still very good under any other conditions. I have a slightly modified motor but it doesn't put out more than 240hp so I assume a stock tranny is fine here.

If anyone can help, please let me know. This old email is toast. Try me here - anixon1(at)cogeco.ca

-remove the (at)

Thanks. Andrew aka neex.

Reply to
neex

It seems that it's getting worse with time. Today it seemed to almost rev to redline before engaging. I have a suspision that it may be the serp belt tensioner. Is it possible that a flywheel has been polished too smooth or has been subject to build up? What should I have checked before I decide to go the rebuild or replace route?

Thanks in advance, Andrew.

Reply to
neex

Reply to
Shep

Shep: No, it's an auto slushbox (electronic version). I know that it isn't actually possible for a loose belt to choose what gears it will slip in but it seemed the best way to hope it won't cost a fortune. I have since been for a diagnosis at a well-respected shop and they think that the 3-4 shifts are the worst due to a worn clutch pack. They alos think that the TC isn't locking up properly. As well, the fluid smells burnt so I know something is definitely worn, torched or crapped out. Maybe we could shift this thread to a rebuild discussion?

I am going to have the servo replaced with a Corvette part (i hear it firms shifting although someone told me that it's a waste on the electronic transmissions?). As well, I am going to have all the clutch packs replaced with stronger friction materials (not sure if this is kevlar or what's common here). The pump will be upgraded as will the band (my guy tells me there's only one band to worry about in this gearbox). Can you make suggestions as to what parts to upgrade? I won't make over 300hp with this setup with any plans I have in place so I hear a stock tranny will do. I am also told that it isn't all that much more pricey to upgrade it once it's all torn out and rebuilt anyway.

Thanks. Andrew.

Reply to
neex