96 2500 whirring sound in front end

my truck has 165k on it,runs strong and everything works(4x4), but while driving i can hear a whirring sound from the left front side, kinda sounds like a seal squeeking on the axle. It is speed related but the bearings
feel good. Could it be an axle seal dried and squeeling? it is really noticeable in colder weather and when driving by guardrails/buildings or objects that reflect sound. i have never been into the front end so i dont know what to look for. any help would be greatly appreciated.. thanks phillip
Brake pad WEAR indicator are the Brake pads worn out ? usually a Chirping sound!
philc37388 wrote:

--
It Doesnot Take Brains To
Get A High Paying Job!
philc37388 wrote:

Did they Bend the Backer plate? ( Rubbing on the Rotor )

--
It Doesnot Take Brains To
Get A High Paying Job!
==============philc37388 wrote:

============ Define "new brakes".
and.....is it snowing alot outside?
so far....."the bearing feels good"......ain't cutt'n it for diagnostic help.
but that bit about the brake job....... now there's some info. ~:~ MarshMonster ~sprinkles a little salt on his gumbo....sips his coffee..... wonders if yer noise was there before the brake job~

Power steering pump?
the sound doesnt happen every day or all the time, it is intermittent at best. backer plate would be all the time i would think, bearings?,, well, that was not a good diagnostic response, i am taking the truck to a 4 x 4 shop Monday morning, perhaps they can pic it out and remedy the problem. i'll post back if they find it. thanks guys.. phillip
. . ==============philc37388 wrote:

==============Sorry....but i'm focused on the brake job.
Was the noise there before the brake job??
The reason I asked about the snow was because of road salt possibly causing the noise.
Also.... i agree, the backing plate "should" cause the noise all the time.
any whooo..... let us know.
~:~ marshmonster ~:~
it was a left wheel bearing, it is a sealed bearing and it was the seal that was sqeeling. Thanks for the input and replies. it's fixed and truck already sold. "I miss that Truck!"
phil,
I too have a 96 Suburban 1500 (170k) w/ a whirring sound under the L/F side. There was no play in the bearing. I replaced the L/F bearing but still made the sound (sounds just like a bad bearing). I think that the carrier bearings in the front differential are worn and causing the noise. That is the only thing that we can come up with. I have not gotten around to checking it out yet. The noise really is noticable when the truck is coasting or w/ very little throttle...not there when under heavier acceleration. Good luck. Let me know if you find something out. I'll do the same.
Dunk