96 astro wont stay running

sends enough fuel to start but wont stay running.......we droppedthe gas tank, checked the fuel pump & cleaned the filter; replaced the fuel filter, next the pressure sensor.....we are guessing ECM? any suggestions??

Reply to
side-tracker

Turning on the key do you hear the pump turn on for a couple seconds? Does the pump continue to run when the engine is running (toss a test light on the pump connections and see if it is still getting power)? What fuel pressure do you see Key on Engine off? How about with the engine running? When you shut off the engine does the fuel pressure stay steady or does it drop fast?

The actual power to the pump on that vehicle is routed through the oil pressure sender. The ECM activates the relay for 2 seconds to build pressure. Then the engines oil pressure trips the switch and continues to power the pump. If that switch fails the engine will start and run a couple seconds and die.

Reply to
Steve W.

Also smell the exhaust. Does it smell rich?

With the 4.3L you might have an injector problem.

Reply to
PerfectReign