96 blazer transmission problem

Ok, I am a damsel in distress, need help bad. My 1996 blazer won't auto shift into 3rd gear. Going down the freeway this morning, noticed the engine started whining high and temp gage shot up, realized then I was stuck in 2nd gear. Reverse and everything else works fine. Had to drive home 20 miles an hour, and now am at a loss as what and where to begin. Please help. Does the tranny need replacement? Oh and it does have fluid, I checked that. Thank you so much for any help or advice.

Reply to
bncroll via CarKB.com

If it has a Vortec engine it should have a OBD2 port and you can scan for trouble codes. That tranny has a electronically controlled valve body and you may have a bad solenoid. I scan a 97 the other day that only had 2 gears working in it (2nd and 3rd) and it showed that it had

2 bad soleniods.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan