96 chevy truck headliner question

x-no-archive:yes

How Does the headliner come out of a 96 chevy full size extended cab truck? Can I replace the material myself like I did in my 89 f-150? On this truck I cant tell what is holding the board in. (Especially the front around the windshield.) My f-150 has a trim piece there but the

96 chevy does not.
Reply to
stryped

Greetings,

To remove the headliner, you first need to remove the sun visors and the center overhead console (if it has one). The perimeter of the foam backing is held up by the plastic trim on the pillars and over the doors. This trim is held in place by pressure clips snapped into the back of the plastic then pressed into matching holes in the sheet metal. This makes for a tighter, smoother fit that won't come loose like the old fashioned trim with sheet metal screws that your old Ford used. The front edge of the backing board along the windshield is not held in by anything in particular. It is curved back in a lip for rigidity that may rest in tabs to hold it up, but there is not any clips or brackets that you can remove.

Be careful when removing the trim panels as the clips are easily broken (but are fortunately easy to find at almost any auto parts store). The biggest worry on older, brittle plastic is if you break the slot that the clip fits into on the back of the plastic panel.

The board is one piece and can be tricky to remove from the cab - be careful not to bend, crease or break it. If you are going to replace the headliner fabric, make sure to remove all of the old fabric first and clean the backing board with a brush. When applying the new headliner, use a spray adhesive that is specifically designed for headliners and will take a wide range of temperatures.

FWIW, Chevy gave up using trim held in by sheet metal screws, welded gutters over the doors, chrome around the windshield seal, wing windows, glass-in-track recessed side windows, and went to wrap-around doors and flush-mounted glass back in '88, but Ford kept using all of it up to '96.

Cheers - Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan