'96 p/u won't start - have spark and fuel - ???

Pickup is a V8. Problem started a few days ago when the starter kept spinning after the ignition was turned off. We had to disconnect the battery cables to get it to stop. Pulled the starter and had it rebuilt,
turns over well but will not fire. We have spark and fuel. What have we missed???

If you've already checked for spark, fuel and intake air, the timing chain might be next on the list.