96 Suburban vibration, rear differential?

Hello, I have a '96 1/2 ton 4WD Suburban. I think I have a rear differential that is going bad. Here are the symptons. A low growl noise and vibration occur when deaccelerating down hill in 2WD. With
gas applied or pulling up hill there is no noise. The weird thing is that the noise is much more noticeable when going down hill and turning a gradual left turn. The rear u-joints are good, I recently had the rear drive shaft balanced and the u-joints replaced after the noise began, no help. The increased noise when turning to the left is what has me confused. Other than that I would be certain the noise is from the rear end. Is there a chance that a rear wheel bearing could cause such a thing?
Thanks for any ideas, Bruce
Add pictures here
βœ–
more common in the front, but when you turn, the outside wheel bearing that turns faster makes more noise if it is going bad. have to pull the axel. but might be other bearings. old john

Add pictures here
βœ–
==============bruce f wrote:

============== Sounds like ring&pinion, OR axle bearings. (could be either) The turning left WILL load the axles and the noise could be being generated from either source.
- 1 - Put it on jackstands and use a stethescope.
- 2 - Pull the differential cover and take a look inside.
or..........try this........
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=&item_ID 057&group_ID12&store=snapon-store&dirΚtalog
I'd loan you mine, but I'm a bit picky with my tools.
any whoooo....... it's a minor deal to look inside the diff. cover and see what kind of markings are on the gear set and what's maybe laying around in the bottom of the housing.
let us know....
~:~ Marsh Monster ~sips his mushroom tea~ ~:~
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 9 Jun 2006 21:14:55 -0700, "Marsh Monster"

It is not the ring and pinion because it would not be effect by turns. My first choices in differentail and second choice is maybe wheel bearing but being that they are full floating it does not sound likely based on symptoms ----------------- The SnoMan www.thesnoman.com
Add pictures here
βœ–
Sno, I don't think the 1/2 ton has full floating axles, correct me if I am wrong.
wrote:

-
Add pictures here
βœ–

I am sorry, I meant to say semi floating axle that float on roller bearings at wheels that absorb no side thrusts as the axle is held in by a C clip in differentail. ----------------- The SnoMan www.thesnoman.com
Add pictures here
βœ–
==========SnoMan wrote:

============ What does the C-clip lock the axle into?
~:~ marsh ~takes a sip of his crownroyal~ ~:~
Add pictures here
βœ–
Marsh Monster wrote:

Take a look - > http://www.off-roadweb.com/tech/0112or_axle /
Add pictures here
βœ–

Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words....... ----------------- The SnoMan www.thesnoman.com
Add pictures here
βœ–
==========SnoMan wrote:

==========I didn't need a picture.........
I needed you to tell me that they're clipped into the planetaries.
but you didn't.
now.... I've got to find another way to get you to help me to get you to say that side loading the axle may apply presure to the ring gear.......mmmmmmm......let me give it some more thought.
~:~ marsh ~sips his mushroom tea, takes toke~ ~:~
Add pictures here
βœ–
The c-clip is held in by the side gears in turn are held in by the spider gears held in by the spider gear pin and then the pin is bolted R.

Add pictures here
βœ–