96 Tahoe Transmission pan depth

I have 96 Tahoe 4WD that I am going to change the tranny oil on for the first time (no, not THE first time, just the first time for me). I understand this trans (4L60E) came with either a shallow pan or deep pan.

My question is, can I tell by measuring the pan while it is still on the transmission body whether it is deep or shallow? Measuring from the outside it is 2 inches deep. Is this "deep" or "shallow"? I'm trying to avoid having to drain the oil, remove the pan and dragging it down to the parts store only to be told they don't have the proper gasket/filter for my pan.

Thanks

Mark

Reply to
Mark S.

Just tell them to have both types available for you to buy before you take it apart.

Reply to
syoung