97 4x4 jimmy steering

I have a 97 jimmy with 180,000km and I can turn the steering wheel about 4 or 5 inches in either direction before the truck will turn. it has new front shocks and the ball joints are good also ( jacked truck up there is no play in wheels) what else can I check to get steering better? how to tell if it is the steering box or pitman arm? any ideas? thanks

Reply to
qwerty

Look at pitman arm when wheel is being turned back and forth a few inches and look for play including a loose pitman arm on box output shaft. Check box to frame mounting bolts too. If all is tight, you have a bad steering box.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan