97 Blazer: ABS Problem?

I know it's probably got to go into the shop, but I thought I'd check here for an answer also.

I've noticed a couple of times in the last week or so that when I approach a sharp turn and I'm slowed down to less than 10 miles an hour or so, that my ABS makes that mechanical winding noise as if it's about to kick in.

However, this morning while my wife was driving, it has become dangerous. She was slowing down to turn left across the carriageway and she said the ABS seemed to 'wind up', then the brakes failed and she was left moving towards traffic. Fortunately she came to a rest without harm and the brakes didn't act up on the way home.... any ideas if this is a familiar problem.

I'm about ready to scrap this money pit :-(((( I've never had a vehicle that loved mechanics this much.

Kevan.

Reply to
Kevan

jdoe

"Kevan" this morning while my wife was driving, it has become dangerous.

first off PULL THE FUSE !!! disconnect the abs right after reading this. why? because who knows if or when it will act up again and not allow you to stop...you could be driving, your wife could be driving and you may even have kids in the car.... don't ruin your live's with a deadly traffic accident !!

i have owned my share of chev. vehicles.

3 of them were 1997.....guess what...the abs system was total shit in all three of them....and i pulled the fuse on the abs system on each one for my and my wife's safety.

i first realised this problem during a winter....i hit a patch of ice and the abs kicked in.. i was going about 30 klm and it took about 60 feet to stop.....after catching my breath because i didn't hit the car at the lights infront of me i thought "what the f*ck" "i know i can stop faster than that on my own" so i turned down an alley and pulled the fuse. i once again returned to the same ice patch, i locked the brakes right solid for the first try.....guess what... i stoped in 8 feet ! second time i repeatly taped the brakes and got it down to 6 feet.

ever tried to stop an a real bumpy road? the only place you get traction is on the top of each bump. but when the tires hit the abs keeps them rolling.....

if you insist on keeping your abs engaged shift to neutral anytime you need to stop fast with the abs, just shifting to neutral makes a big difference.

Reply to
S.S.I.N.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Much appreciated.

Looks like I'll be pulling the abs fuse and getting the sensors checked out as well.

I must say that this isn't the first vehicle I've had with abs, but it definitely is the worst. My others actually felt like they were doing something when I forced the abs into action, the Blazer feels like it's a clockwork mouse being overwound......I'm probably better off without it ;-)

Thanks again guys. Happy motoring.

Kevan.

Reply to
Kevan