'97 Chev. K3500 clutch master / slave clinders...

As many folks already know, the clutch master / slave cylinders used in the '97 Chev. K3500 and presumably other related models are essentially a defective design. The normal failure mode is a failure to release the clutch, the clutch itself doesn't seem to have any issues.

As the clutch master and slave cylinders have been replaced on my truck a couple times with OEM parts, and now they are showing signs of failing once again, does anyone know of good non OEM replacement components to use?

I'll be doing this next repair myself, and given that I have a fairly complete machine shop, I have no problem using completely different parts, even say Ford 350 series parts, and fabricating the appropriate adapters needed.

Thanks,

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

Yeah the slave cylinder on these trucks suck. I've a '97 K2500 w/6.5TD and the NV4500 trans. I've gone thru quite a few slave cylinders. The master is fine. It just blows because you have to drop the transmission out to get at the slave clylinder. With all that work, I usally just throw the extra $250 at it for the clutch too so I don't have to worry. At 87kmi, I replaced with OEM (I didn't reaplce the clutch this first time). At 125kmi, the clutch blew, so I replaced the slave and clutch, again the slave was OEM. At 174kmi, the slave blew, I replaced with a LUK. At 245k, the transmission blew up, I rebuilt it myself, and put another new LUK slave clylinder in. We'll see how it hold's up, it's got 8kmi on it now.

Reply to
yoyoma

Replaced POS MC this afternoon with another POS MC since I had to replace it before I had time to find a better part.

Now I'm really pissed off. I replaced the MC and things seemed to be ok for 30 min or so, then the problem returned, actually worse. WTF?

Reply to
Pete C.