97 chevy 3500 diesel

Hi-my truck wants to stall when I slow down to turn, stop or when I am accelerating from a stop. Sometimes I can go for several days with no problems, today it stalled 3 times after sitting for 3 hrs. It starts right up-most of the time. Any suggestions?

Reply to
hmf166

Greetings,

First off, does your Service Enging Soon or Service Throttle Soon light come on? If so please have the codes pulled from the ECM to determine what the computer is reading (even if the light does not remain lit the codes still stay in the memory).

If it's a code 1216 then you most likely have a failing Fuel Solenoid Driver. Even if the light isn't on the FSD is still highly suspect because the symptoms you describe are classic for it. If you're lucky and catch it quick you can get away with just changing the FSD. If not it will have fried your optical sensor and you will need an entirely new fuel injection pump.

But before you start to worry about the expensive stuff, drain your fuel-water seperator and change your fuel filter. This should be the first thing if you suspect a fuel related problem. Next step would be to test the lift pump under the truck to see if it's sending enough fuel under enough pressure to your fuel injection pump. Both are also common causes of stalling and power loss.

If you need any more detailed information, don't hesitate to ask.

Cheers - Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan