97' Cheyanne slow start

Hi all,

I'm sorry if this seems off-topic being a 4X4 group, but I couldn't find anywhere else to go regarding this issue. If you know of a more appropriate group please let me know.

I've got a '97 C-1500 that recently has been getting slower to start. The engine cranks good and hard, but no start. I'll give it a good 5-10 seconds of cranking, turn off the key, try again, and Vrooom - it starts right up. (It seems to have gotten worse over the last few weeks). I've ruled out the battery connections, battery and alternator. Non of which by themselves should be the culprit I would think. I'm not thinking the ignition switch because sometimes I can crank it and after about 5-7 seconds it will start (I'm going to check voltages at the ECM fuses later on today). I can drive it and then turn it off and it will start up again right away, but if I let it set a short while (10-15 miniutes) it is back to the same condition. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has seen this particular symptom and if anyone has a possible cure or starting point for me to start investigating from.

Sincerely,

Scott

Reply to
Scott Brehler

Scott, About six months ago I had a simular problem with long cranking start-ups too. To start troubleshooting, I hooked a pressure gage up to the fuel pressure tap and noticed that my fuel pressure was leaking down when the enigine was off (at about 55 psi while the engine was running and then after turning it off, the pressure would slowing drop down to about 8 psi in about

10 minutes). My problem turned out to be *too much* fuel. caused by a bad *Fuel Pressure Regulator*. It has a vacuum hose on top of it that goes into the air intake plenum.....and gas was leaking into it from that vacuum hose hooked up to the Fuel Pressure Regulator. When the engine was off gas leaked into the air-intake plenum and this is what caused the long cranking to start the engine. I actually stumbled on the problem when I was checking the 8 new fuel injectors that I had just installed because I believed that my problem was a leaky fuel injector(s). While I was in the middle of the "replacing the fuel injectors" procedure and checking them for leaks (with the intake manifold still removed). I turned the key on (ignition only) to pressurize the fuel rail to see if I had any leaks in the fuel injectors or "O"rings when BINGO!....there it was. Fuel was pouring into the air intake plenum from the vacuum hose coming from the Fuel Pressure Regulator. I installed a new Fuel Pressure Regulator, completed the assembly.......and my problem was gone.

Jabs

Reply to
Jabs

You're looking in the wrong places for the problem Scott. If the motor cranks fine, the battery, alternator and cables + IGN switch are just fine as well. Your problem is fuel, spark, compression or timing, most likely fuel (either too much or not enough). Next time you start it, crack the throttle plates about 1/4 open and see if she starts quicker.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Thanks for the info guys..

Here's what I've got so far. I'm thinking that it IS the ignition switch because I have noticed that when I crank it and then turn the switch off completely that it seems to start right away. Also, I've noticed that when the driver's door is open, the buzzer doesn't come on all the time, AND the other night the interior light was coming on (if at all) then going off, and coming back on again. The head mechanic at the Chevy dealer had mentioned the switch, backing up what I have seen on the groups about this year truck having had that problem. I mentioned the battery and alt Doc because I have seen and noticed that the battery can supply the starter and other electical systems simultaneously...creating a crank and no start condition (not sure if that's true). Again, this weekend I'm hoping to check voltages at the ECM fuses per the mechanics suggestion to see if the problem is the ig switch. Like you guys said, it could be either too much or not enough fuel. I'll check the fuel pressure reg next. It's either that or the damn things haunted! :) I'll keep you informed as to my progress. Again, thanks for the leads.

appropriate

Reply to
Scott Brehler