97 gmc Z71 steering problems

I purchased this 1997 GMC Z71 2 months ago from a dealer knowing the outer edges of the tires where noticably worn. I had the front end checked by two garages with the same recomandation to change the inner tie rod ends
and get an alignment which was done. On occastion when in a long gentle right hand bend the steering wheel seems to lose all resistance for a second then jump back. Could this be my steering gear even though it is once in a while? I forgot to mention I still have the old tires on because I think they are still not too bad. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks Rob.
"jobdacobb" wrote in

This problem you are experiencing is most likely due to a small sensor at the base of your steering column called an EVO sensor. It basically reads how fast you are turning the wheel and coupled with vehicle speed, increases or decreases your power steering assist. When it goes belly up, you often get this feeling that the steering is "overassisting" when you turn one way or the other.
Ian
I agree evo sensor. Changed mine last year, easyjob.

ends
are
Hey, any trick to just disable it and have the higher effort steering? Larry

checked
I don't know you could just unplug the connector and see what happens.

wheel
they