'97 k3500 paint flake

Anyone hear of a known problem ( or even why ) the paint would simply flake off the roof in large pieces??? The truck is well taken care of, etc. ('97 K3500 white )

Thanks,

Reply to
scott

now a '97 is a bit late for this, but in the very late 80's the EPA forced a reduction in allowed VOC"s in auto paint. this caused the paint to not bond well with the primer. if you look at domestic vehicles in the 88-91 range you'll see alot of them with peeling paint because of this.

is it the original paint job?

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

Reply to
73blazer

Reply to
scott

I have heard that white, gray, silver are more prone colors and well as all vehicles from Canada. I know my truck is kept outside ( too big for a garage ) and it just happened without any warning.

73blazer wrote:
Reply to
scott

It's called solvent popping - a manufacturer's defect.

Comes from improper surface prep and poor paint curing process.

Take it into the dealer and tell them to F.O. as it isn't stone chips.

But the again they have your money and will tell you to screw off.

Reply to
Hornblower