97 S-10 Blazer - auto transmission problem?

Yesterday I decided to change the auto transmission fluid/filter on my 97 Blazer After doing that, when starting from a stop with the vehicle in 'D', the
transmission is in high gear. I can manually shift to first gear to start off, but that is actually second gear. I can move the shift lever to D once started, and the vehicle will upshift. I can also get the vehicle to downshift by depressing the accelerator(although not to 1st gear) Any idea what the heck happened? Thanks, Fred
Fred Robertson wrote:

I can't remember what years they had the deep and shallow pans on those vehicles, but you might want to double check that. The filters are a different size, and if you happened to have a deep pan, and installed a shallow pan filter, you might end up with some weird things happening. This is just a guess, mind you.
Ian
sometimes it's real hard to tell the correct fluid level with new fluid.....assuming you know the proper check method my 1 worths
======== ======== (concerning transmissions) Jul 25, 2004, 8:32pm (CDT-2) From: snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (ken) writ :
sometimes it's real hard to tell the correct fluid level with new fluid.....assuming you know the proper check method
my 1 worths
============== ============== How I check AutoTrans Fluid levels.........
I check trans fluid levels with the vehical running, and the trans in revearse..........well .....most of the time.
sometimes......... i shut the vehical off and jump out real quick and yank the stick to git a reading.
sometimes........ i pull the speedometer gear out to check the level.
sometimes........ i pull a bolt out the side of the tranny and jest fill er up till the fluid comes pouring out the hole.
sometimes....... i pull a bolt out the side of the tranny PAN..... and fill er up till the fluid comes pouring out the hole.
sometimes....... i fill er up till fluid comes pouring out the vent tube........but that's usually cuz i jest burnt a hooter and i'm not pay'n attention to what i'm doing.
but for the most part........i check it with the engine running and the trans in revearse with the wheels turning.
Fact, not Fiction ~:~ marsh ~found a penny~ ====================== ======================
i too changed the tranny oil in my 98 blazer yesterday and have the same problems. (identical) help anyone
. . ======= ======= On Aug 19, 2004, 2:15am (CDT+1) snipped-for-privacy@us.army.mil (tjpintr) blurted out with this complete post:
i too changed the tranny oil in my 98 blazer yesterday and have the same problems. (identical) help anyone
======== ========
hmmmm..........
how to handle this.........
hmmmm......
give me a sec here now........
hmmmm........
OK.....i got it.
This is how we're gonna handle this Tom.
Ready?
OK....
Now...you think realllllleey hard bout what yer problem is ....and keep repeating it in yer mind......OK?
Got it?
hold on now while i tries to focus in on yer thought processes and we'll see if'n we can't get on the same wave length and we'll use some of that telepathic thought tranferrence and togeather we gonna get this "identical problem" of yers transferred to me so's i can type out a good guess for you.
WAIT.......
I'm serious...
Don't go.
I know we can do this thing Tom.
OK...
have it yer way...go ahead and do a repost and this time INCLUDE WHAT THE OTHER GUYS SYMPTOM WAS,if that's easier fer you.
keep in mind though....i still think that our best bet here is some telepathic comunication.
and.....
if we could get started for my shroomjuice wears off....we'd shore stand a better chance at doing it.
~:~ MarshMonster ~pulls his pipe out....jest in case you change yer mind and the shrooms start wearing off~ ========== ==========