'97 Suburban Making a rapid thumping sound near front passengers feet

The sound is coming from below the dash. It begins when I turn the key on, and thumps for about 15 seconds and stops, and then does it again when I shut the key off -- again for about 15 seconds, and it stops.
Any ideas about the cause and resolution? Thanks in advance!