'97 Tahoe 4x4 problem

My '97 Tahoe, with 5.7 L, started blowing the fuse when engaging the 4x4 and would not engage. When I disconnected the actualor, the short would go away. Dealer sold me the "new and improved" electromechanical actuator with the necessary retrofit wiring harness, but no instructions or diagrams on how to do the retrofit.

Anybody have a wiring diagram or instruction sheet that explains the installation of the new actuator with its harness?

I would hate to do a smoke test...

thanks

Reply to
SCOOTERTRS

"SCOOTERTRS" wrote

Unscrew the old actuator, take the metal spacer that should come with the new updated wiring harness and install that into the front diff first, then install the new actuator. Take a look at the new wiring harness, it's fairly foolproof at the one end, one plug goes into the new actuator, one plug goes into the old harness that the original actuator plugged into.

Now you need to route the wiring harness back along the passenger side of the trans, and up and over the t/case. Find the switch sitting at the top of the t/case...(it's not actually right at the top, more like halfway between the mainshaft and the front output shaft, but it is on the top of the case, sticking up), unplug it and find the brown wire. There should be only three wires I think, you need to splice the brown wire from the new harness into the brown wire in that t/case switch connector. Should work fine from there.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Check for electrical shorts while you are at it before hooking up the new actuator.

Reply to
Gung Ho

I did check for shorts and installed the unit without much difficulty following Ian's very explicit directions. Thanks all, now i can 4x4 whenever i need.

Reply to
SCOOTERTRS