'97 Tahoe Pittman arm shot... any tricks to replacing it?

'97 Tahoe Pittman arm shot... any tricks to replacing it? Looks to be a real mother of a job... do I take the steering box out?, do I take a torch to the frame? -:) what????? thanks

Reply to
SCOOTERTRS

Use a Pittman Arm puller (can be rented at Autozone, NAPA, etc.). Do NOT use a pickle fork and a BFH. Don't use a torch (what the hell are you smoking?), and no need to remove the steering box.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

"SCOOTERTRS" wrote

If it's 4x4, you need to take the steering box out with the pitman arm attached. Then use a pitman arm puller (good quality one) to remove the pitman arm. The box is only held in with three bolts thru the frame, two hydraulic lines, and a pinch bolt to the steering shaft.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

Thanks Ian ... it is a 4x4... I was trying to avoid doing that... but if I have to I have to... BTW the comment about the torch had the -:) following the remark... I dont even smoke cigarrettes... Thanks again

Reply to
SCOOTERTRS

Reply to
Jason Comstock