'97 Tahoe Pittman arm shot... any tricks to replacing it?

'97 Tahoe Pittman arm shot... any tricks to replacing it? Looks to be a real mother of a job... do I take the steering box out?, do I take a torch to the
frame? -:) what????? thanks

real
the
Use a Pittman Arm puller (can be rented at Autozone, NAPA, etc.). Do NOT use a pickle fork and a BFH. Don't use a torch (what the hell are you smoking?), and no need to remove the steering box.
Doc
"SCOOTERTRS" wrote

real
the
If it's 4x4, you need to take the steering box out with the pitman arm attached. Then use a pitman arm puller (good quality one) to remove the pitman arm. The box is only held in with three bolts thru the frame, two hydraulic lines, and a pinch bolt to the steering shaft.
Ian
Thanks Ian ... it is a 4x4... I was trying to avoid doing that... but if I have to I have to... BTW the comment about the torch had the -:) following the remark... I dont even smoke cigarrettes... Thanks again
there are special pullers to remove it. OTC makes a good one. another way is to use a small cutting grinder and cut in half

real
the
I have a '97 too. Its not hard at all. I had mine done in 30 minutes. You have to take the plastic cover off of the underside. Then take the steering gear bolts out (3). No need to take the wheel off. Then mover the gear around till you can get to the nut easily. And pull it off. Just as easy putting it back on.

real
the