'97 Tahoe- what happened

I had been driving my Tahoe (135k) for about a solid hour and a half at 65-70mph, came to a stop at a light and immediately the truck went into this really hard/rough idle. Sideview mirrors were vibrating pretty good and the
engine was making a lot of racket. Light turns green, I start off slowly, idle had subsided and at 10mph I get this really hard and loud "lurch" at 30mph it did it again, although considerably less noticeable. I was stopped at two or three lights on the way home, and each time the same sequence of events. Got home and truck sat for about 30 minutes, started it up and drove off absolutely no problem. Thoughts or suggestions?
Did the dash light up at all. I had a car that somthing would go haywire in the sensors and it would act kindof like that. Drove really poor and after a quick restart it drove normal, like nothing ever happened.

No, nothing on the dash to indicate anything happened. Gauges were all reading normal and no warning lights.

Just had a similair occurance with the '97 350 vortec ..... Turns out I had two bad fuel injectors and a sub-par fuel pump. Until they completely die you will not even get a computer error code.
dave wrote:

My EGR solenoid valve (96 350 vortec) caked up w/ carbon and caused similar symptoms. Chk Eng light did come on though. Removed it and cleaned carbon out thoroughly and every things fine now.
If you've never cleaned it out, it'd probably help a lot. Be sure to clean the carbon out of the passageways on the intake manifold too.
Hope this helps.
CB