97 Z71: Loud transfer case 'clunk' going from High->Low 4x4

I have a 97 Z71 4x4 I've had since '03. When I push the Hi-Lo 4x4 button that switches between 4x4 Hi and Low, there is a loud clunk or thud from the xfer case. I never thought much of it (works fine) but someone
recently said that was not normal. Anyone else have this loud clunk when going from 4x4 hi to low? Is it normal or not? Thanks.
In my Chev. TB there is a pretty good clunk when low engages, lots of lash in the transfer case and diffs , when low gear is selected all the lash is taken up with more force because of the additional torque multiplication, I am not saying it is normal but both my 4x4's did this. If it didn't do it before have the drivetrain checked out, also the chain in the TC for slop.

-
i have 99 4WD tahoe and experienced the same problem. while i don't think there was ever a TSB issued there was communication from GM that many owners were complaining of a clunk coming from the xfer case. i took mine to a 4x4 shop, he had heard of the problem and fixed it with some "slicker" xfer case oil. i don't know what he used but it fix the problem. its been 3 years since and not another clunk.
good luck