98 1500 4.3L wont start

I have a 98 chev 1500 w/t with the 4.3L vortec. I havent drive it it sometime about a year and half but start it every month or so to keep everything lubricated and charged up. The other day I went to go for a
drive and got about a quarter mile down the road and the engine just died. I and not getting any trouble codes, and i am getting lots of spark. I disconnected the fuel line and checked the fuel filter the filter was not plugged and the pump was moving gas. I checked the primer valve on the fuel rail and gas is coming out of that as well. The engine spits and sputters like timing is way off but it does not pop or backfire and with the sfi engines the timing cannot be off can it? After trying to start it several time i noticed that the catlytic converter was glowing red inside and smoking. This leads me to belive that I am getting fuel. The only thing that I can think of is that the injectors are not getting enough pressure to atomize the fuel. I have heard that fuel pumps in these trucks will occasionally die if they are left to sit for too long, is this true? I am debating on whether to buy a fuel pressure tester or a fuel pump neither of which is very cheap. I would appreciate any advice you can give me before I go spending a bunch of money.
You need 60-65 psi get a gage and check it at the rail.

-
Old gas. Dirty injecters from old gas always sittin around. Fouled plugs? Borrow the fuel pressure tester from Canadian Tire or somthin. Fuel pressure should be between 60 and 66 psi.