98 Blazer Dying on the Highway

My 1998 Blazer, which only has 60k miles, has died without warning twice on the highway at speeds higher than 40 mph. It restarted without problems each time, but this type of problem at high speeds is
very worrisome. Other than this random dying, my Blazer does not seem to have any problems and rides smoothly. After the first event, my mechanic changed the fuel filter and now thinks that I will need to change the fuel pump to prevent further problems. Since I cannot afford to make any other repairs if I get a new fuel pump, I am concerned that this may not really be the problem. I am particularly worried that it could be an electrical problem or need new spark plugs and wires. Does this situation sound like a fuel pump problem? Is there any easy way to rule out other electrical possibilities? If it is the fuel pump, but I do not get a new one, can I expect any problems more serious than having the engine die at high speeds but restart immediately?
Thanks.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

cable/terminal connection. Take the positive terminal off. It has 2 cables attached. One of the cables feeds the starter, the other feeds everything else. Split the rubber boot and separate the two terminals and the spacer washer. There will likely be a lot of corrosion here. Wire brush everything good and soak in baking soda solution, then wire brush it again. Once you have bright metal, reassemble the terminals, washer, and bolt. Now there are two schools of thought here for what to do next. One says to coat the terminals with vaseline to inhibit corrosion. The other says to coat the terminals with an insulating rubber compound that you can brush on. I have used the vaseline solution with great success. Be carefull around the battery after this, as there is an exposed 12 volt source.
KenG
on Sunday 15 July 2007 01:22 pm, someone posing as snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com took a rock and etched into the cave:

Do you have a check engine light?
Do you have any codes?
What does the exhaust smell like.
--
www.perfectreign.com

my 1999 chevrolet Tahoe did the same thing and several times in a row. i removed the battery terminals and REALLY CLEANED them good. used baking soda and scrapped the electrical terminals good. it wpuld always start, so i figured the problem was the power electrical connection to all feeds, and not the starter terminal. after that it never died or hesitated again , that was three years ago. the terminals must be good and clean. hope this helps. old john
Hello, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com! You wrote on Sun, 15 Jul 2007 20:22:31 -0000:
jw> My 1998 Blazer, which only has 60k miles, has died without warning jw> twice on the highway at speeds higher than 40 mph. It restarted jw> without problems each time, but this type of problem at high speeds is jw> very worrisome. Other than this random dying, my Blazer does not seem jw> to have any problems and rides smoothly. After the first event, my jw> mechanic changed the fuel filter and now thinks that I will need to jw> change the fuel pump to prevent further problems. Since I cannot jw> afford to make any other repairs if I get a new fuel pump, I am jw> concerned that this may not really be the problem. I am particularly jw> worried that it could be an electrical problem or need new spark plugs jw> and wires. Does this situation sound like a fuel pump problem? Is jw> there any easy way to rule out other electrical possibilities? If it jw> is the fuel pump, but I do not get a new one, can I expect any jw> problems more serious than having the engine die at high speeds but jw> restart immediately?
jw> Thanks.
With best regards, snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net. E-mail: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net