98 Blazer leaking coolant

Hey All,

Looking for some info on what might be leaking at the top back of my

4.3 vortec.. dribbles down the back of the engine from just under the intake manifold, really hard to see but you can just see it bubbling out. I need to call around for estimates and the more I know the less chance of getting screwed on the price it seems.

Thanks in advance!

Reply to
cphaedrusm

Intake manifold gaskets. Common problem on the 4.3 and 5.7 engines. Watch the oil real close because once they leak outside the engine they usually start leaking into it as well.

Reply to
Steve W.

Thanks alot!! Does 6-700$ Sound like a reasonable repair estimate for this?

Reply to
cphaed

Depends on where you are but it sounds a bit high to me. It also depends on what else they are doing.

Reply to
Steve W.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin.

That's all they are doing

Reply to
cphaed

That's exactly what they charged me in Chicago

Reply to
sticks

I would say 400-450 would be a better deal. You might want to buy the book and the parts and DIY. They are not hard to do. A set of gaskets is only 60 bucks. That gets you valve cover and intake gaskets, plus a few others.

Reply to
Steve W.

Check to see what AUTOZONE is charging for just the Gaskets... Then you will know How much you are being Scalped for labor

Reply to
tom

DIY Was my original plan, but it's my only means of transportation and the guy I work with stuff like this on suggested getting it done. And my free time is non-existent latley.

Thanks to all who responded!

Reply to
cphaed

It's about 6 hours if you have average skill and haven't done it before. With a bit of practice you can cut that time by a good chunk.

Reply to
Steve W.

Labor 3.8 hours Gasket set retail $126.00 Coolant $40.00 Oil and filter change $30.00 Parts total $196.00

Looks like you're paying $100.00+ per hour for labor (unless they're doing the water pump as part of the job)

Reasonable? It is if it includes dinner for two at Maders....

Reply to
aarcuda69062

This is a common problem with the gm intake manifold gaskets.(they are a poor design) They leak and the water runs down the back of the engine. must replace with a new and better gasket, or the head surface will be pitted and then the whole thing must be resufaced or replaced.

300.00 garage cost for parts and labor, or 60.00 do it yourself. 4 hours. old john one arcticle says replace with fel pro part # MS98000T, nor oem style. oj

Hello, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com! You wrote on Wed, 9 Jan 2008 05:14:55 -0800 (PST):

c> Looking for some info on what might be leaking at the top back of my c> 4.3 vortec.. dribbles down the back of the engine from just under the c> intake manifold, really hard to see but you can just see it bubbling c> out. I need to call around for estimates and the more I know the less c> chance of getting screwed on the price it seems.

With best regards, snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net. E-mail: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net

Reply to
<ajeeperman

If anyone from Milwaukee knows a good place to take it Im more then open to suggestions! NW Side preferably:P

Reply to
cphaed

Gaskets sets I check on Were less than $50.00

WOW $20 a gallon ?

$5.50 a quart

Reply to
tom

If you want crap that will fail again. The good Fel-Pro gaskets retail at NAPA for $126.00 Can be had from Rock Auto for $60.00+ shipping if you have time to f*ck around. I don't have time to f*ck around...

Yes, Dexcool is about $18 a gallon

3/10 hours labor X labor rate 4.5 quarts @ 1.99 a quart Filter $3.50
Reply to
aarcuda69062

EXpensive parts are Not always Better .

DEXCOOL is the problem... Drain/Flush out all the DEXCOOL and use Regular Antifreeze and your problems are solved for life..

Using Dexcool is a sure bet you will be making money again Later .

Reply to
tom

They are in this case. The Fel-Pro MS9800XT series gaskets are specifically designed to remedy the inherent bad design of the OEM style gaskets. And you think reinstalling the same crap that the truck was built with is [better]? Tell you what; find one instance of someone who has had the Fel-Pro MS9800XT series gaskets fail.

Total bullshit. Classic case of 'it looks different so it must be the cause.' The low silicate Dexcool is the reason his (and others) engines that experience this failure aren't totally wasted to begin with. High silicate "regular coolant" would have destroyed the bearings long before the leak became noticeable.

Except that I've done this exact same gasket job on engines that had the coolant converted to "regular antifreeze." The gaskets fail regardless of which type of coolant is used. There goes -that- theory...

How many years do you suppose I'm going to have to wait to see this happen? I have GM trucks out there that have over 100,000 miles on them since I installed the Fel-Pro gaskets and refilled with fresh Dexcool. I've done well over 100 of these gasket jobs, how many have you done? You're talking out of your ass.

If you honestly believe that installing a non lubricating coolant with abrasives is better than installing a non lubricating coolant without abrasives, you haven't much real experience.

Reply to
aarcuda69062