98 Blazer Replacement

I have 1998 S10 Blazer and the tranny is toast. I need to either have it rebuilt or put in a rebuilt one. I know it would be not be a walk in the park but is replacing a tranny
something a "backyard mechanic" could do in his garage? I am fairly mechanical, I do 90% of the work on my cars myself I have just never replaced a tranny before. Everyone I have spoken with wants about $2000 to rebuild the tranny and that's a little steep for me right now. So I am thinking of picking up a rebuilt one and doing it myself. I have done some searching online and it looks like I can pick up a rebuilt for a fairly reasonable price. What are your thoughts? Thanks for your input, I appreciate it.

Yes it is doable with tools and jacks. ALso the 4L60 is pretty tuff in a S10 unless you cook it. Typical ones that fail have oversized tires and stock gears or they tow a lot and also have no aux tranny cooler. When you are done, at least instal a small aux tranny cooler too. ----------------- The SnoMan www.thesnoman.com
On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 17:47:57 -0500, "Mike Dobony"

Harbor Freight sells a tranny craddle insert that will fit in most floor jasks.
----------------- The SnoMan www.thesnoman.com