98 Blazer stuck in 4x

I own a 98 Blazer and after being stuck in the snow this morning I can no longer push the button to get out of 4 High.. Any else encountered this problem? Any fixes out there?

Reply to
cphaed

What does it do when you push the button? Lights flash but it doesn't change? Light says your in 2WD but the front axle is still engaged? Transfer case doesn't change?

There are a few common problems on the Blazers. One is the vacuum switch on the transfer case. They can get stuck and stop the vacuum from bleeding off, The hoses could be blocked with some crud. The switch module could be going bad, the encoder motor could have failed. Give a bit more info as to what it does and we'll try to narrow it down.

Reply to
Steve W.

Nothing happens when pushing the button.. I have had it 'stuck' before where the light of the button I push blinks, and flips back to where it was..But this time nothing happens when I push the buttons.

There was a ton of snow here, 20" or so. So I was up to the door frame in snow easily.

Reply to
cphaed

Did ya try the old push the button while traveling very slowly in reverse? I know that has worked on a lot of trucks over the years.

Dan

-

Remove the X for e-mail reply

1996 HD Sportster 1200S. N9JBF. Bass fishing Aficionado!
A proud charter member of "PETAF", People for Eating Tasty Animals and Fish!!!
Reply to
Dan, danl

Yea, I tried that one as well with no luck! It dosen't even try to to change as far as I can tell, pushing the buttons just does nothing.

Reply to
cphaed

Are they at least lit up? Could be something simple like a blown fuse if they aren't. Now if they are lit and nothing is happening than it might be the switch itself. Easy enough to pull it and test it. Do you hear the click of the relays in the TCCM (behind the kick plate on the passenger side). If you don't hear the clicks then the TCCM may be a problem. Now if the Switch and the TCCM check out then your probably looking at the encoder motor on the transfer case.

Reply to
Steve W.

The 4hi is lit up.

I don't hear anything doing anything when pushing the buttons.

Now I hear a strange clicking sound under the car when in low gear, (before it shifts out of first)

Reply to
cphaed

Well for a test, Disconnect the battery for 10-15 minutes. Sometimes the TCCM gets confused and a power off reset gets it straightened out. There are a bunch of steps beyond that but it is a good first step.

Reply to
Steve W.

you cannot push the button/ maybe your fingers fell off. hahaha i think your accuator is the old heat the oil type and you must check it and or replace it. ot maybe the vacumn line it disconnected. old john

Hello, cphaed! You wrote on Thu, 7 Feb 2008 06:10:45 -0800 (PST):

c> I own a 98 Blazer and after being stuck in the snow this morning I can c> no longer push the button to get out of 4 High.. Any else encountered c> this problem? Any fixes out there?

With best regards, snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net. E-mail: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net

Reply to
<ajeeperman

Reply to
Sir Topham Hatt

replace it if necessary, with the better newer type that is motor driven. old john

Hello, snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net! You wrote to cphaed on Thu, 7 Feb 2008 21:52:01 -0800:

a> Hello, cphaed! a> You wrote on Thu, 7 Feb 2008 06:10:45 -0800 (PST):

c>> I own a 98 Blazer and after being stuck in the snow this morning I can c>> no longer push the button to get out of 4 High.. Any else encountered c>> this problem? Any fixes out there?

With best regards, snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net. E-mail: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net

Reply to
<ajeeperman

Thanks Steve! 10 minutes and without a battery and it poped right back into 2wheel, and my gas mileage is saved!! Thanks again!!!

Reply to
cphaed

No problem. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while.... ;-) That is actually one of the first things I try with the electronic shift units. Every now and again they seem to get stupid. Maybe a UFO passed over while you were stuck! ;-)

Reply to
Steve W.