98 Blazer-Will not go into 4 Wheel Low

I have a 98 Blazer with the electronic 4 wheel drive selector. When I select 4hi, it switches with no problem. When I select 4low, the light flashes for about 20 seconds and then goes out.
I assume that there is a soleniod somewhere that is stuck, but haven't seen any information on the system. Can anyone tell me if that sounds right and where the solenoid would be located?
DRW
is the trans in nuetral?
I have tried just about any posible configuration, including trany in nuetral.
DRW
as long as you are in nuetral with engine runing and shift to 4hi first it should go in. if not you have an electrical problem in either the switch (gm had problems with those) or the "encoder motor" which is on the transfer case. if the 4lo light at least blinks i would suspect the encoder motor. they ain't cheap.

Engine running, Put it in drive. Let it move forward a bit then shift into 4 HIGH. If it goes into 4 HIGH OK then stop, Once stopped shift into neutral and shift into 4 LOW. If it doesn't shift into 4 LOW then you have a problem in the switch or the encoder motor or transfer case itself. It will NOT go into 4 LOW if it is moving at all.
-
Can the motor be replaced without disasembling the transfer case?
DRW
I haven't looked at the transfrcase yet. Is the motor replacable without disassembling the transfer case?
DRW