'98 burb, 110k, got the shakes: Tires?

The 3-ply Toyo tires have about 27k on them.
The shake is a seat-of-the-pants sort of thing - i.e. it's not coming through the steering wheel at all.
It also comes and goes. Maxes out at about 70 mph. Sometimes smooths out at 75. And, stangly enough, if I drop down to 65 it goes away and if I sort of sneak back up on 70 1 mph at a time, sometimes it will stay away for awhile. Right now, I'm just cruising at 65 to keep it at bay.
My kneejerk reaction would be to get the wheels balanced - but that's going to cost a few bucks....and with 27k on those tires, I don't think they have more than 15k left in them (performance-wise, not tread-wise).
So, the second thought is to just get a new set of tires and see if the shake goes away.
OTOH, with 110k miles on this thing I'm wondering if it's worth having the drive train looked at.
Any thoughts?
--
PeteCresswell

through
out at

of
awhile.
going to

more
shake
drive
First take the wheels off the truck and inspect them closly. Look for a soft spot, bump, anything that makes the tire/wheel combo out of round/balance.
Second check the drive line. Look for a missing/broken bolt, or even a chunk of mud that has dried on the drive line causing it to be out of balance. I had Jaguar that vibrated so bad at 65mph plus that you would think it was coming apart. One of the bolts on the drive shaft U-Joint had come out, and it was enough to throw it way out of balance.
Diamond Jim
"The Old Devil Dog"