98 Chevy dual battery cables

Damn side mounts. I am changing to top mount cables. I have a bad wire somewhere under the cover. Keep have batteries going dead. Only have one phantom voltage that goes to the gear selector light on the column.
I now have 4g wire. I wanted to use 2g wire between the batteries, (both + & -) and was going to use a single 2g ground wire to the block instead of 4g from each battery. 4g to starter, and just add the two other positive wires to a crimped connector.
Any thoughts?

Watch out for the lead washers in the side mount terminals. They compress from the thermal expansion and contraction. Leading to poor connections. Especially on the double stacked positive terminal. Cranking down on the bolt leads to puncturing the battery case which in turn leaks battery acid into the terminal. This usually takes out the Avalanche diodes in the alternator.
Cheers
On 4/5/2013 8:26 PM, Martin Riddle wrote:

It is a shame that they do not offer marine style terminals on most batteries. Side and top-post both suck.

That would be nice. I have had good luck with those.