98 Silverado 5.0L K1500 intermittant P0404 code?

Hello all, Twice in the last month the Check Engine light came on for 3 days or so, then went back off. I scanned it and obtained the P0404 (EGR Flow/Performance) OBDII code. This truck uses a linear electric EGR valve instead of the vacuum driven style that I have dealt with in the past (83 Elcamino). I was wondering if anyone had any luck cleaning these and what the odds are that the code may be caused by another problem or sensor out of tolerance. I have yet to experience any stalling or hesitation. The idle is a tad rough at times but I don't hear any miss at the tail pipe. Truck currently has 38,000 miles. Cheapest price for this EGR valve I have found is $100 and I believe GM's was $160.

Any words of wisdom, experience, and opinion welcome. Thanks in advance, Mark

Reply to
Antennaman

Jeremy Bomkamp

Thanks Jeremy for the response.

Now that you mention it, the light did come on the first time after topping a hill and coasting down the other side. The second time was coasting toward a turn off on the highway. The light has been out for the last three days now with no troubles. When I get the chance I think I'll give cleaning a try and give the connectors and wiring another look. Earning a living as an electronics technician in another field, I've learned the hard way that error codes can be both useful and misleading. :)

Mark

Reply to
Antennaman

Just clean it with carb cleaner. It worked for me. 98GMC 5.0

Reply to
Marc Porter