98 Silverado crank/cam correlation

I have a 1998 Chevy with 5.7 Vortex (centralSFI)fuel system. Code p1345 Crankshaft/camshaft correlation keeps comming up have changed both sensors and disconnected battery a couple times to reset service light. NYS
emissions scaner says p1345 and both banks running too rich,and FAILED. It was hard start when warm may have cured that with new fuel pump or new plugs. Appreciate any help, Thanks, jo
First, did you attempt the inspection with the lite on, what were the codes for too rich, you should get this on a scanner and look at the crank sensor inputs to the pcm, also many scanners have a troubleshooter for the codes, when and if you fix this, (this may not be something you can do without thorough diagnostics) clearing the codes will require a prescibed drive cycle to reset the emissions monitors or it will fail again. Also that problem code could cause hard starting with an sfi engine.

-
Should have said cam sensor inputs also.

-
After replacing the cam and crank sensors I did have codes read with a cheap scanner (Auto Zone) still only got p1345 code. But I did not drive it much as you are suggesting so far only maybe three short runs. I will do some more miles this weekend. Sad part is the truck is 6600 GVW and my understanding is it does not need a emmissions inspection I just can't convince the inspection station of that, but then again the ck engine light is still on. Thanks for the help I will post more developments as they come in.
On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 20:30:47 -0400, "jo_builder"

I don't know where you live, but most places put a cutoff at 8600#, not 6600lbs.
-Bret
OK well I saw a letter to a dealer saying the old law was 6000# and the new law will be higher for 2000 and even higher for 2004 year models, but it was a letter from the state and you may still be right about that. Thanks I'll try to find the actual inspection law. Thanks again
jo_builder wrote:

So what is your camshaft offset reading?
Ian
Ian, Can you elaborate on that a bit. Will a "Snap On" scanner give me that info and what type of reading am I looking for? Maybe it is time to head to the dealer? also maybe the fact I have 160,000 miles should have been mentioned. Thanks for the help
jo_builder wrote:

Yes....a scanner will tell you what the offset is. It will read in degrees..+ or -. You need to be at 0 degrees or very close to it. All that code is saying is that your cam sensor (what looks like the distributor) is not in phase with the crank sensor. You adjust this the same way you used to adjust distributor timing, loosen the dist clamp and rotate it until you achieve 0 degrees.
Ian
Great I had a feeling that was it. The guys that changed intake gaskets told me the dist. may not be in quite right. I pulled the cap and set up the engine for #1TDC and liked where they dropped it (gear wise), But my book says towers should point perpendicular to block so I gave it a twist. Disconnected then reconnected battery. The light went out for a moment and then came back on. I need to check the code to be sure I'm still on the same problem. Would the scanner show adjustment change as we move the dist. with engine running? The scanner I'm think of is about a $6000 Snap On that my garage has. I think he just hasn't mastered it yet. Thanks again
jo_builder wrote:

I know that our Tech 2 shows adjustment change while doing it. You will just have to try it out and see what happens. Too bad about the guys that changed your intake gasket. Did you pay them money? If so, they should be the ones getting your dist back to the correct position....it's all part of doing the job correctly.
Ian
Had a GM mechanic set the timming at the dealership with the Tech II and he got the light off. Was real happy with that for about 8 miles. Light is back on for unknown reason. Now I guess it's bach to the shop for another scann. On the plus side it is a nice looking money pit. Light came on when I got too happy and got on the gas a bit hard. It has 4 new injectors, could I need 4 more?