98 Suburban: Remotes program ok but donít work. ????

I recently bought a 98 Suburban and I have 2 remotes that do not work. Both have good batteries.
I have done a bit of research on line, and it does appear that folks
here agree that the programming process I tried is the correct one. Last night I got a paper clip and shorted the #4 and #8 terminals on the plug under the steering wheel. THe truck immediately locked and unlocked the doors twice. Then I took one of the remotes and pressed both lock and unlock buttons and held them. After about 8-10 seconds, the truck perfomed a lock and unlock followed by a horn chirp. I then repeated the process with the second remote and it worked the same. From everything I have read, this is the proper process and the truck and remotes are responding correctly. Clearly they are talking to each other. Unfortunately, after programming the remotes and removing the shorting lead, the remotes do nothing. I tried the entire process twice, and still no reaction from the truck when I press lock or unlock.
If anyone has any ideas, I would love to hear them before I take it to the dealer and pay a fortune.
THANKS!
‚úĖ
My stupid question is...have you cleaned the contacts of the remotes? I pop mine open about every 3 months and rub the circuit board clean where the rubber contacts the board...sometimes when the board is dirty, it can feel like they aren't working. my 2 cents

http://www.autoforumz.com/Chevrolet-98-Suburban-Remotes-program-don-work-ftopict109842.html
Add pictures here
‚úĖ
"Bob Truck" wrote: > My stupid question is...have you cleaned the contacts of the > remotes? I pop > mine open about every 3 months and rub the circuit board clean > where the > rubber contacts the board...sometimes when the board is dirty, > it can feel > like they aren't working. > my 2 cents >
> message > > >I recently bought a 98 Suburban and I have 2 remotes that do > not work. > > Both have good batteries. > > > > I have done a bit of research on line, and it does appear > that folks > > here agree that the programming process I tried is the > correct one. > > Last night I got a paper clip and shorted the #4 and #8 > terminals on > > the plug under the steering wheel. THe truck immediately > locked and > > unlocked the doors twice. Then I took one of the remotes and > pressed > > both lock and unlock buttons and held them. After about 8-10 > seconds, > > the truck perfomed a lock and unlock followed by a horn > chirp. I then > > repeated the process with the second remote and it worked > the same. > > From everything I have read, this is the proper process and > the truck > > and remotes are responding correctly. Clearly they are > talking to each > > other. Unfortunately, after programming the remotes and > removing the > > shorting lead, the remotes do nothing. I tried the entire > process > > twice, and still no reaction from the truck when I press > lock or > > unlock. > > > > If anyone has any ideas, I would love to hear them before I > take it to > > the dealer and pay a fortune. > > > > THANKS! > > > > -- > > Posted using the http://www.autoforumz.com interface, at author's request > > Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet > standards > > Topic URL: > > http://www.autoforumz.com/Chevrolet-98-Suburban-Remotes-program-don-work-ftopict109842.html > > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report > abuse: > > http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?pQ4379
Thanks Iíll try cleaning them. Of course, in order for them to program, both buttons need to work, right? Still stumped.....
Add pictures here
‚úĖ