98 Suburban Starting Problem Returns

Our 98 Suburban K1500 has had a starting problem only twice so far. The first time it happened was about a year ago and then again this past weekend.

What happens is when you go to start the truck it will start-up fine for a few seconds then just quit. It will keep repeating this "start-up then die" sequence for about 2 hours when then finally it will start like normal. The worst part of this is that it does not give any Check Engine codes to help determine the cause. After this happens the truck runs like a top, but in the back of my mind I know it will happen again at some unopportune time 500 miles from home and on Sunday.

This Suburban has the 5.7L gas engine and about 82,000 miles and is very well maintained.

Does anybody have any idea what the problem may be??? My thoughts are a computer glitch or possibly a dirty ignition switch...but wouldn't these problems be fairly consistent??

Thanks!

Mike S. Kalamazoo, MI

Reply to
Mike Schudel

Mine was the fuel pump.

Reply to
Buck Permenter

first guess would be the fuel pump

Reply to
Elbert Clarke

If it is infact the fuel pump, wouldn't the truck fail to turn over at all? The truck will actually start and run perfect for about 1/2 second then shut-off as though you had turned the key to the off position.

As one of the previous posters mentioned that it could be the oil pressure switch. This is what I am thinking...a switch or sensor that isn't allowing the truck to run once it is started. Are there any other sensors or switches that would cause this truck to start but not run?

I appreciate all of your input on this matter!

Mike S. Kalamazoo, MI

Reply to
Mike Schudel

Reply to