98 Tahoe fuel pump probs!!!!!

I have a 98 Tahoe sport, I guess it is the Z71 package? But I have had the fuel pump replaced twice so far, then about 2 weeks ago it went out again, well I banged on the tank with a rubber hammer and it crunk back
up fine. To it to the mechanic, they checked everything and said it was fine? Since it happened once, I am sure it will do it again. I gave it a full tune up couple months ago, but after that, the pump began going out. Also, when I crank it cold, sometimes it doesn't have much power, though I can hear the engine revving up, and it sounds like it should be moving alot faster than it is, rpm's go up as well. Does anyone have any ideas? I would appreciate it!
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

When you pull the fuel pump and sender out, check the connection at the top of the sender.....the wires from the fuel pump and the sending unit go up into one connector.....if you check this connection, you will often find evidence of burnt wiring/poor connection. I've seen a number of fuel pumps replaced when the problem was really just that connector. Unfortunately, if the connection is in bad shape, you end up having to buy the whole sending unit, which is about the same price as the fuel pump.
Ian
Firestone changed out the pump the first time for like $700 (tried to charge $900!) or so, the second time they did it for free! The third time it was working so they didn't look at the fuel pump just tested it, but if it goes out again and they have to change it, I will make sure I am there to supervise and look at the connection as well. I just want the thing to run good so I can sell it without a guilty conscience! What about the other problem? The loss of power it has after first cranking, I mean I can floor it, and you can hear it going, but it just doesn't move, just slowly trudges on, no sputtering or anything. Also, the truck just doesn't seem to have the power it should, and I gave it a full tune up recently.

Sounds like you have a slipping transmission which makes your FP problems look small. H
Check out the Chevy Tahoe page. You might be able to find out some information at that site. It's http://www.chevytahoeclub.com .