!987 suburban fuel pump access

Does any one know if this year and model has a access under the rear seat or if i will have to drop the tank out of it to replace the fuel pump.

On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 15:32:32 -0500, "highboy78"

I don't know for sure but I don't think there is access from within the vehicle. I would expect the tank has to be dropped. ----------- Elbert snipped-for-privacy@me.com

No access to the pump, you will have to drop the tank....
Did the pump cut out on you? Check to see if you have power to the pump before you do this job. Some have seen the wiring at the top of the tank corrode. If you have power to the pump but no pressure then you will have to drop the tank. You will need to bite the bullet and get a new tank (it will rust through soon), new mounting straps (you will have to cut off the old ones), a new sender (you will need the new wiring harness that is part of the sender), hoses that go from the tank to the filler neck (old ones will be brittle and you will have a hard time taking them off), a piece of roofing tar paper or the insulator strips (you will see what I mean when you look in LMC'c catalog) and the fuel pump (try to get a good brand I went through two carter pumps before I got a good one). It will take about 2-3 hrs to do the job run it for a little while then replace the inline filter again. Also understand you will soon be replacing the throttle body.
Lastly and the most important request a LMC Catalog. You can get all the parts you need from them for a very good price. When I did this job I get everything from them except for the pump which I got from the local parts store.
http://www.lmctruck.com
good luck, mark
On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 19:01:56 -0500, "r_d"

I agree with this get the best pump you can. I wanted a Bosch pump but everybody only had the Carter. So I got the second replacement pump for free but I cost me another $200 to change it out. So the $53 pump cost me $253.... Get the best pump you can. Lmc is good for the dash gauges they are the only ones that have the replacement modules.
mark
On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 19:52:56 -0500, "r_d"

More importantly, keep tank full of fuel as the fuel cools and lubricates the pump and running it low a lot will shorten its lfe. BTW, GM does not make the motor for those pumps and never did from day one.
highboy78 wrote:

No it doesn't it has to be dropped and only takes me 15-20 minutes I done them so dam much. Next before you go blow a wad of cash when you find your sending unit is all crusty I have an almost new one I'll sell ya. I can Email pictures of just how clean it is and that it works. I snagged it from a parts truck hoping to use it on my blazer or buddies 92 but no such luck. The Burb has a bigger tank and mine is a 31 gallon. It's a 4 port with the tags still on it. the year range is 87-91.
anastyb at hot mail