99 5.7: new intake gaskets seal, but engine won't start - timing question

I finished replacing the lower intake gaskets on my 99 5.7 last night. (What a job!)
I did a quick pressure test and it is holding well.
However, I can't get the engine to start. It looks like the
distributor/timing is not right but I followed the procedure and it is NOT setting the bad timing code (using scan tool)
Here is the procedure I followed.
Cyl 1 at TDC compression stroke. (maybe it is supposed to be TDC exhaust stroke)
Line up the shaft dot with paint mark
Inserted into engine (flat side lines up with upper intake) rotor pointed at cast in "8".
done
Any suggestions for diagnostics or corrections to my procedure would be appreciated.