99 blazer transfer case problems

Page 1 of 2
hi i have a 99 s10 blazer but it dosn't have auto 4 wheel drive. the problem is that i cant get the truck to go into 4hi it will go into 4low and 2hi. what can i check to fix the problem? thanks

car9905 wrote:

First thing that you will want to do is to see what trouble codes are present. In your case, here's how you do it:
DTC Displaying 1.. Turn OFF the ignition for 10 seconds. 2.. Connect PIN 13 on the data link cable (DLC) to a ground. The DLC is located in the cab under the instrument panel on the driver's side. 3.. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF. 4.. Observe the transfer case shift control switch select buttons for flashing codes. Refer to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List . Important: If the transfer case shift control switch buttons all blink only once and then stop, no fault codes are stored in the transfer case shift control module.
. When one DTC is stored in memory, that code will blink that number of times followed by a 3 second pause and then repeat.
. If more than one code is stored, the first code will blink, followed by a 3 second pause and then the second code will blink.
. This sequence will continue until PIN 13 on the DLC is no longer grounded.
. If the TCCM will not communicate the presence or absence of DTCs, test the above circuits in Self-Test Step 2. If the circuits are complete, then replace the TCCM. Refer to Transfer Case Shift Control Module Replacement .
Ian
ok i did that and thereare no codes! now what?

car9905 wrote:

Hmmmm....now you really have problems! I think that the next step would be to see if you have a mechanical problem, ie: you may need to remove the encoder motor and see if you can manually move the t/case into the 4hi position.
Ian
============shiden_kai wrote: .

.
Induce a code ::
unplug the encoder motor pull codes again post the results
a suggestion..... only a suggestion....... in case of a real emergency.......... contact an authorized Dealer Tech.............. cuz..........he's liable to have a part on hand to chunk at it.........
:)
~:~ marsh sips his crown royal...wonders how the lights are reacting during mode selection...and during code retrieval~ ~:~

That 4x4 system used on that vehicle can be troublesome. It uses a NVG 233 NP1. NVG stands for New Venture Gear which is the new name for New Proccess so just for referance, a NP233 and NVG233 is the same case. Some styles of Tcases use a electroning clutch inside the Tcase to engage front output and some do not and even my GM manual is not clear about this on this model. I do have wiring diagrams and compontent locations posted in my forum in members only area (I post them by member request) and he is not the first one to have problems with this system by any means. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com
ok i made it give me a code and the code was 2. but what dose that mean?
SnoMan wrote:

============car9905 wrote:

Preliminary diagnosis indicates further diagnosis is needed......................
please elaborate on...............
" I 'made'.......it give me a code"
?
i'm lost, confused, disoriented, and do not know which way to go.
Did you simply use the code retrieval method Ian posted? or....... Did you do as I said and unplug it to "see" if a code would pop up?
any whooooooo
i'm off to git that code def for you....... rite after i burn this dooby..........first thangs first.
:)
~:~ marsh ~grabs his lighter and hits the AllData button~ ~:~

The diagnostics that accompany a code 2 on this transfer case will tell you to test four circuits from the shift control module to the encoder motor for the proper voltage, if they pass muster, then you are off to test the encoder signal ground circuit for open or high resistance.
In almost every case that I've worked on, a code 2 ends up being an encoder motor failure. Now you can either follow the diagnostics which isn't that hard, or you can try another method that I often use. This is all under the assumption that you simply didn't know how to retrieve the code the first time around and your system always had the code 2 present.
Clear the codes using this procedure:
Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) Clearing The transfer case shift control module is equipped with the ability to store diagnostic information which is useful to a technician in the event of a module, component or wiring failure. DTCs should not be cleared from the transfer case shift control module until these codes have been recorded or servicing the system has lead you to a repair and directed you to perform the "Clearing Flash Codes" operation. The following steps provide an easy way of clearing the flash codes properly.
1.. Turn OFF the ignition. 2.. Remove the 10 amp CTSY LP from the I/P fuse block, and the 20 amp ATC fuse from the underhood fuse block. Important: Replacing the fuse before the specified time may result in not clearing the DTCs.
3.. Wait a minimum of 60 seconds before replacing the fuse. Once the fuse is replaced DTC 1 will be set in the transfer case shift control module. 4.. Cycle the ignition switch from the OFF position to the RUN and back OFF five times in order to clear DTC 1 from the transfer case shift control module memory. 5.. Verify that the DTCs have all been cleared. Refer to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) Displaying . Please follow the procedure to the letter! Now see if the system works properly, ie: does the transfer case shift into all the ranges. If it does, you have an intermittantly faulty encoder motor. If you get the code 2 back immediately, then you will need to do the voltage checks and you may find the problem is either wiring or the shift module.
I've even encountered a few vehicles where both the encoder motor and shift module are faulty.
Ian
========shiden_kai wrote in message:
<<EDITED>>

same here.........
a quick method to test the circuit ALL the way TO the encoder motor............
clear the codes as stated.......
use a current clamp on a DVOM while activating the motor.......clamp around the ENTIRE harness rite at the encoder motor.
if the signal is getting "to" the motor........ you've just eliminated EVERYTHING upstream of the encoder motor.
:)
~:~ marsh ~sips his crown n coke.......and watch's his meter for current ramping~ ~:~
the code was stored in the computer and when i got the code it blinked 2 times and repeated. Marsh Monster wrote:

============car9905 wrote:

============ Then you've been given your options fairly clearly, and by Ian, whom you can bet on being balls-on accurate.
Check the circuits, or replace the motor, or make sure the unit will go in 4wd Hi manually. (which is a pain in the ass in my opinion) (and most likely NOT the problem)
re-read your thread, decide if you want to diagnose or take a gamble on the most likely culprit.
I personally would slap a motor on it..... but....... It's your money, not mine.....and.....I could always stick it back on the shelf.
GL....... and let us know.
~:~ Marsh ~tranny tech~ ~:~
================car9905 wrote:

============== Code 2 definition ::
Transfer case encoder motor fault
this is according to AllData....... verified through TrNi online.
(still wondering if you "induced the code"...or not)
anywhoooooooo.......... waiting on yer response to the previous q's........ and remember.....when money is not an object of concern......... we always got that "chunk a part on it" option.....................................
:)
~:~ MarshMonster ~sips his coffee.......wonders if yer perplexed yet....and if you have the patients to take all the diagnostice steps neccessary BEFORE..... starting to chunk parts at the symptom~
Hi Marsh and Ian:
I haven't been on in a while, but would appreciate an answer to this question.
What is triNi online?
Thank you kindly,
Julio

==============Refinish King wrote:

ain't been on in a while myself.........
here.......
http://www.transbuilder.com
good to see you again....
~:~ marsh ~pours a coffee for king~ ~:~
Thanks for the info Marsh!
Great to see you, now tear some new a-holes on these lamers.
Julio

how do i getitto go by hand? i dont know that trick? and if it does goin at that time is the motor bad? Refinish King wrote:

Refinish King wrote:

     Julio
I lost your e mail address 2 computers ago! if you still have my non-public e mail addy, drop me a line. Charles
Charles! Long time no see... How ya been?
~jp
Charles Bendig wrote:

Jon R. Pickens wrote:

Jon
    A roller coaster of good and bad. Had a slight problem with my now former G/F that lead to me being impounded, as well as my vehicle. Which cost me a whole lot of green backs.
    Work picked up after I got that mess taken care of. Then my computer quit, bad hard drive. Slapped together another one to get me threw, it died the weekend my new Dell arrived.
    Bought another Ford Ranger this summer, and managed to kill it by august. Broke the frame, yet had fun doing it. kept the dana 35 solid front axle and the 38's for my other ranger. Bought a Diesel 85 Suburban with 35's on it to trail ride in. (both can been see in my yahoo profile).
    So how goes your blazer? Charles