99 blazer transfer case problems

Dude... that's TERRIBLE. I feel for you. Last time we spoke, you we thinking of moving to Knoxville. I'm guessing that didn't happen.

My Blazer... Well, I had to replace the tranny after the wiring-harness was replaced. Or so the shop said... I broke off the bolt holding in the tv-cable and the tranny shop said the case crumbled when they dropped it and tried to drill it out. So a $750 rebuild ended up costing me $1500. They installed a non-electronic lockup of some sort, some kit they bought for it, because I was missing the harness that controlled the e-lockup. I'm still not sure whether it properly locks up or not.

It was overheating a lot, after rebuilding the tranny, although I can't imagine the two are linked. Could've been the severely advanced timing I was running to try to make it run worth a damn. In the end I finally was forced to learn enough to realize that the low vacuum at idle, the rich running condition, and complete lack of low-end torque was all the fault of one component--the cam. So I'll either have to pay hundreds for someone to swap it or learn to do it myself...

Oh yeah...the rebuilt rear axle decided to un-rebuild itself. Actually, it leaked all it's fluid out of the pinion seal and now it's stranded in TN. I haven't driven it in months. It's now in permanent project status, although I'm really missing it. I need to have it running and reliable by October, as I'm planning my roadtrip / vacation to Arizona for then. I'll need it for some places I'll be going.

So the short-term list of parts is a new cam for low-end torque. I could care less about "HP"--it's completely irrelevant in my situation. Probably a TBI setup. And then I once again need a rear axle. So I'm once again looking for a 14-bolt to replace the 10-bolt. I'll re-gear the front 10-bolt and swap on some 8-lug hubs. Oh, I was told there's metal shavings in my transfer case... it's never ending, I tell ya... The long-term list stuff I want to do to it is long, and subject to change as I do more research. For now I just want it back on the road!

On the upside, the body is still rust-free ;-)

In the meantime I bought a used Saab. Nice car. But not knowing the laws in GA allowed me to buy a car that hadn't first passed inspection--a BIG no-no. The dealer who sold it broke the law by selling it in the first place, so I'm trying to get that resolved (he should buy the car back). I may end up suing. :-(

I totally dig that Sub... that's a pretty wicked paint scheme you got on there.

Got any good axles lying around for sale?? :-)

~jp

Charles Bendig wrote:

Reply to
Jon R. Pickens

Did you change tires or get one tire or something like that that may chage the tire size ?

Reply to
Andy & Carol

Knoxville is still in the plans, but off in the distance for now.

I think I have a 14 bolt Semi floater under a 89 C-2500. I know a guy that should have one or two Full Floaters laying around. What gear ratio are you looking for?

Maybe I should just find you a one ton with a 205 transfer case, and a rotted out body/frame?

The Suburban is like a old go-go dancer. She looks nice in the pics, and even from 20 feet away. But pop the hood and you see the nightmare with it. The body on it is too far gone to try to save. The left rear door is welded to the quarter panel, the tail gate is only latched glass busted, the hinges rusted off, the rear wheel wells are flexible. Yet is was cheep, and a diesel. Not to mention there's a extra suburban body at the shop that's usable. And it did come with a cheep o body lift laying in the back seat. So after I get it to start reliably I'm going to drive it some this winter, and take it to a few wheeling places. If it survives till fall, with out losing body parts, ill do the swap latter rather then sooner. Yet I do have some 1/4 tread left 40x17x16.5 (read bald) ground hogs laying around. Charles They aint Dents, their trail trophies.

Reply to
Charles Bendig

Well, whenever you can get there, it'll be waiting. I keep telling myself that too ;-) although lately I've been looking toward the West. the reality is that I'm probably stuck in Atlanta for the long haul. At least for the foreseeable future.

I'm looking for a full-floater. If you have the means to transport on a future trip to Knoxville I could meet you and pick it up. If not, I'll figure something out else. I'm waiting to see how this whole thing with my Saab pans out, and the ultimate goal is to get the dealer to buy it back. It's a problem I don't need, and the Chevy dealer has already approved me for an '07 Silverado 1/2-ton short cab/short bed. Once I get that I've have the means to haul K5 parts :-)

Gear ratio... Hmm... Well, I have a 3.73 now but a 4.10 could work fine. I'm planning a mild lift, maybe 3-4" and will probably move up from the 31" tires I have to either 33" or 35" tires. I liked the

31"/3.73 combo because it put me at about 2000rpm when I was on the interstate averaging 75mph. The 3.08 I used to have was terrible. I think gas mileage probably suffered even at the lower rpm's that I got from them because I had to keep so much foot in the pedal to keep moving.

I was thinking the same think about a NP205. There's a 3:1 ratio low range kit available for it now. It's not cheap, but cheaper than getting anything else with that low of a ratio (unless I wanted a Dana

300). Certainly cheaper than an Atlas, but that'd be overkill. And really, I don't do any rock-crawling (yet), so I couldn't imagine need a super-low ratio in the low range.

Will it bolt in without mods or will something like a crossmember need to be changed (or changing the length of the driveshafts)??

I figure for now the 10-bolt front end will hold up. Crossover steering would be nice, but again, since I don't do rock-crawling or "extreme" off roading, I don't know if it'd buy me anything (although I hear the street manners and lack of bump-steer with x-over is nicer). Maybe I shouldn't do it in stages, and should just get it over with all at once...

As for your Sub... sounds like quite a project. I wish I had the space and tools to do something like that. As it is, doing a cam swap is going to be tough. I've moved into a house since we spoke earlier in the year, but I only have a 1-car carport, not a garage. I have a huge backyard, but that's still no protection from the elements.

I'm thinking of getting a 2nd job on the weekends to pay someone else for the K5 upgrades :-(

~jp

Charles Bendig wrote:

Reply to
Jon R. Pickens