99 envoy temp

The other day my 99 envoy w/4.3 temp started to rise from the usual temp of 190. I added some coolant because it was low. Now a week later the temp shot
up almost to just under 260. I stopped and checked the coolant again and it was full. I loosened the radiator cap a little and some coolant came out so I know the radaitor is full. Now it runs at about 220 or so with a steady needle.
Could the computer be telling it to run warmer for some reason?
There is 100,000 miles on it and it has every option if that helps.
Dave
--

I'M NOT COMPLETELY NUTS..
SOME PARTS ARE MISSING..

There not that hard, I consider them regular maintenance, and can cause the problems you are describing. They are cheap, so even if it doesn't fix it you'll be doing some up keep.
GMC Gremlin

Good point, I couldn't think of the real term. I apologize, just wanted to get the tread rolling. Brain farts suck....
GMC Gremlin Humbly shown-up

I didn't bite on the Temperature Regulator because I thought I was being set up. The Cap did cross my mind.
I'll get a new thermostat and cap and while I'm at it I'll change the coolant.
I'll let you know the out come.
Dave

I probably should have just waited 10 minutes until my brain caught up with me.
GMC Gremlin

GMC Gremlin wrote:

Yes, that's always a good idea.
Ian
. .
wrote in message:
Ever put in a new temp regulator, radiator cap?
wrote in message:
If he goes to the parts store and asks for a "temperature regulator" he'll be laughed out of there.
To the OP, replace the radiator cap and the thermostat.
Doc ======== snipped-for-privacy@whatnot.com (Willywanka) wrote:
I didn't bite on the Temperature Regulator because I thought I was being set up.
The Cap did cross my mind. I'll get a new thermostat and cap and while I'm at it I'll change the coolant.
I'll let you know the out come. Dave ======== Dave, haven't you been issued yer personal copy of alt.autos.4x4.chevy GMC Gremlin Terminology cross reference manual yet????? We'll get that out to you asap before you get monkey slapped for assuming he wuz try'n to get yuh. lmao
as to yer symptom, Radiator caps, thermostats, coolant, and sending units are all cheap enough to replace.
but......a friend with the same type of truck and a jumper wire set-up to hook from yer sensor into his guage (and vice versa)...is even cheaper. If you want to narrow down the possibilities a little more that is.
A bit of a pain in the arse...but definately cheaper than a scanner.
~:~ MarshMonster ~wonders if yuh have a buddy with a scanner~
Thanks for the advice.......... and get the house a round on me..........
I replaced the cap and thermostat. While I was draining the radiator I noticed not much coolant came out. Upon further investigation I found the reservoir was full. HUMM. The reservoir and the hose had a lot of debris in it and the coolant couldn't pass from the radaitor to the reservoir and vice versa. I suppose the coolant was pushed out on the ground. So my cap and thermastat were probably ok but I'm glad I changed them anyway.
dave

Hi, Read the posts, and hope you've gotten your problem resolved.
One thing many owners overlook, and are unaware of, is clogging of the radiator from that nasty Cottonwood Tree Fuzz.
If you live in an area that have these trees, it is wise once a year, to pop the top Radiator Shroud, and take a peek down there in between the Radiator, and Condenser.
I've had this happen to a couple of vehicles, Literally looks like Fiberglass Blanket Insulation. It will cause your temps to climb quite a bit. Mark
Good idea I'll check it out next time I have the time. There seems to be a lot of domestic stuff to do around here lately. ha
Dave