99 fuel gauge flipps out

I made the dastardly mastake of filling my truck with the engine running. No I didn't blow up the world. Yes it probably wasn't the smartest thing to do; however I did live through it and did no harm to others. Now my fuel gauge flips back and forth from full to empty with a slow return to full. then repeats every so often. Any Ideas on a fix? I humble myself to all the flames about how unsafe an action this was. :0 thanks

Reply to
Dog of War

return to full. then

I'd just take for a drive... burn up some fuel and see what happens.

The rules about smoking and turning off engines before refueling came about because in the 60's it was always common to fill while running especially in the winter time. Often the guy pumping the gas (no self serve then) was having a smoke at the same time. The driver and passengers would often join the pumper and they would also be smoking. I think everyone smoked back then.

I suppose a few of them blew up so they changed the rules. Any way you got away with it and like I say there have been many billion fill ups with the engine running. Maybe a lot of big booms too.

Reply to
Sounds Like A Porsche

I can attest to the fact that there have been some "big booms" that come from smoking while pumping gas. On a hot, bright day you can easily see the gasoline vapor shadows coming out of the nozzle, especially if you don't have the type of pumps that draw back in vapors for reclamation. However, it's typically not the "smoking" or even the "lighting up" part that causes fires. Gasoline vapors are heavier than air - the mistake that causes so many problems is the "taking the last drag and throwing the still-lit butt on the ground" part. After that, there's nothing left but the screaming in pain during the debriding in the burn ICU that no amount of pain killers will stop.

Cheers - Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan Race

I've filled my car up numerous times with the engine running...... of course, I don't smoke. Filling your car up with the engine running would have absolutely no connection to whatever your fuel guage is doing. People did it for years. It's not allowed anymore, the fuel attendents will simply not turn the pumps on if they see that the car is still running (this is mainly in cold weather, when people would "like" to leave the car running, and it's fairly easy to see if a car is running).

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai