99 gmc 4x4 1500 suburan transfer case fliud????

Ok went to change the fliud in this thing so i go to the gmc dealership and ask for transfer case fluid for my truck. They give me atf dextron 3/mercron
fluid.When I go to change it what comes out is a blueish green and what the gmc place gave me is red (Not the same thing)so are these 2 compatable are should I go get the bluish green stuff???
What they sold you is automatic transmission fluid. It is not transfer case fluid. What you need is the bluish-green stuff called auto trac. GM is the only place that sells it (I think) and its $7.00 per L (US). You'll need 2 liters for the job. .

"George" wrote

Actually, auto transmission fluid is acceptable fluid for many transfer cases. The autotrak is specifically for the t/cases that happen use a clutch pack to actuate the front drive shaft. A regular old manual shift t/case still uses auto trans fluid for lube.
Ian
I read somewhere that while regular ATF will work, some of the newer models were having a problem with the clutches slipping and then gripping, causing a 'clunk'. The reommended fix was switching to the new lubricant.