'99 S-10 fried battery..and alternator?

Just got back from helping my friend with his truck ('99 S-10 2.2) that wouldn't start...

He had it jumped but once he put a load on the system it died. There was a strange buzzing coming from under the dash at all times, key out, doors closed, no lights, engine off, etc. I checked the battery voltage and it was at a whopping 5.6 volts and dropping fast.

We skipped the battery test at Autozone and bought a new one, pop it in and the truck fires up. I check the battery voltage while running/giving it gas, it starts at 14.5 but begins to drop, about .1 volt a minute. All the while, if he was to let off the gas, the truck would stall (I felt that this was an unrelated problem but not sure). Eventually it wouldn't stall and he drove it home. He turns the truck off and the battery voltage drops down to about 13.0 and wavers at about 12.92.

I didn't think that the voltage should drop like that while the truck is running and my only guess was that something is awry with the alternator. That sucker is hidden under the exhaust manifold and my lanky fingers couldn't reach the hot wire to hook up my voltmeter.

Any other ideas to check? He's going to get the system tested at Autozone but I figured I'd ask on here as well. Thanks for any info.

Reply to
Tzihuac

good luck, mark

Reply to
rock_doctor
.

'99 S-10 fried battery..and alternator? In todays episode we here.......... snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net (Tzihuac) say.........

Just got back from helping my friend with his truck ('99 S-10 2.2) that wouldn't start...

He had it jumped but once he put a load on the system it died.

(i like that wording....twice ...HE.........) (the infamous bill clinton syndrome )

There was a strange buzzing coming from under the dash at all times, key out, doors closed, no lights, engine off, etc.

I checked the battery voltage (ahhh......now you're taking some credit aye?)

and it was at a whopping 5.6 volts and dropping fast.

We skipped the battery test at Autozone (sharing the glory now......i see...)

and bought a new one, pop it in and the truck fires up.

I check the battery voltage while running (there you go again....hogging all the fun)

/giving it gas, it starts at 14.5 but begins to drop, about .1 volt a minute.

All the while, if he was to let off the gas, (anyone else see a pattern here...?)

the truck would stall.

I felt that this was an unrelated problem (this is getting tooooo funny.....)

but not sure. Eventually it wouldn't stall and

he drove it home. He turns the truck off (come on......anybody else see it besides me?)

and the battery voltage drops down to about 13.0 and wavers at about

12.92.

I didn't think that the voltage should drop like that (i bet YOU didn't........come on...your mess'n with me ain't ya?)

while the truck is running and

my only guess was that something is awry (see it.....there it is agian...anybody...anybody see it?.......)

with the alternator. That sucker is hidden under the exhaust manifold and my lanky fingers couldn't reach the hot wire to hook up my voltmeter. =A0=A0 Any other ideas to check?

He's going to get the system tested at Autozone (wudd'nt expectin that.......lmao)

but I figured I'd ask on here as well. (you dah man.....)

Thanks for any info.

Reply to
Scribb Abell